Saturday, 1 January 2011
Another year
Browsing through a box I find a set of slides, taken by me around the time I left home to go to my first job - residential, working for a charity for my keep and a small amount of pocket money. There are photos of my niece and nephew as small children, before they went to Australia later that year, and some views of Keffolds where I worked - a large house with Arts and Crafts features, long since converted into flats or houses. I met my husband there. And this one photo of some of the children in my charge.
I wonder where the children in the photo are now. I was eighteen and they were between 4 and 9years old - the youngest at the house. The eldest there were only a year younger than I was - a baptism of fire to deal with: teenagers with fiery Polish tempers and difficult backgrounds. The housemother, a devout Christian lady, could neverless be scathing and demanding, and I still fold all my towels according to her strict requirements 40 years later - she was right, they do fit into piles better as all sizes of towel finish up the same dimension!
I've also been doing my end of year sift through the correspondence and filing to start the New Year - amazing what turns up.
So here we go into another year - I'm not making resolutions but I'm hoping I can make some changes and achieve a few secret ambitions. I'll let you know.
Meanwhile - a very Happy New Year to all of you. (And to Anwar, Akrim, Freda and Augustine, wherever you might be, too).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Happy New Year - hope 2011 is a little less frustrating!
Wishing you a very happy 2011!
Happy, Happy New Year to you!
and a VERY happy New Year to you too! :O)
Thank you all. I've left comments on several blogs which just haven't appeared which I can only attribute to my broadband problems. Hope this is going to be sorted out soon, it's very frustrating and time-wasting.
Post a Comment