Saturday, 27 August 2011

Firstly, a big thank you to everyone who's left comments, e-mailed or sent me a card.  I really appreciate all your kindness and good wishes.

Thursday started well - the hospital rang at 10 saying where was I - having told me to get there for 11!  Anyway, we threw ourselves into the car and got there at 10.30.  Then I waited in the ward - fortunately with two other delightful ladies who chatted and joked and filled me in with all the systems - until  3.30 (starving and thirsty as the others ate their rather good smelling lunch) when various people came and drew arrows on my plastered arm, asked me questions I'd already answered several times, and eventually about 4.15 took me off to theatre, where they had the usual problems putting in a drip, gave me a dose of some very strong pain killer (which I later found out was morphine) and sent me asleep.
Something in all that was not my body's liking and I eventually woke up feeling as if I was in a furnace and shivering so they kept wrapping me up in blankets.  They had hoped to send me home that evening but I'm glad they didn't as poor H would have had too much to deal with wth me and M.
The good news is that the arm is fine and doesn't hurt at all, but it's taken me two days to get over the anaesthetic - I came home yesterday and slept most of the rest of the day, and today started off still wobbly.   I've still got a sore throat from the breathing tube and terrific bruises on both arms.  Anyway, if all goes to plan, the upside of having a plate inserted is that the plaster will probably come off in 10 days as the plate does the job instead.  I've still got a slightly numb thumb but I'm sure that will go in time.
I must say, though, despite the administrative muddles, the care and kindness shown was terrific.  Everything was clean and in good order, all the staff from ward sister to cleaner were chatty without time-wasting and the doctors were efficient without making you feel that they were in a rush.   I've never had a problem with anaesthetic before so there was no reason to think I would this time - it was very strange, I had a bright red face all day yesterday.   Anyway, thank you staff at the Worcester Royal Hospital, you were great.   Fingers-crossed now that everything goes smoothly.

10 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

So glad it's been done now and although you are feeling a bit strange just now I hope you will feel better soon. I think the anaesthetic is often the worst part of such procedures and take the stuffing out of one. Take care of yourself and hope you will be back to normal very soon.

Gina said...

Gosh, you have been through the wars. Lots of R & R and some TLC required now I imagine!
(word verification is "cycle" which you don't need at all!)

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Just been having a blog catch up .... blimey you have been having a right old time of it. Hope you are feeling better today. I missed the quilt festival this time but hope to go to the next one ... my cousin went and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have a great bank holiday x

Relatively Retiring said...

So glad the worst bits are over, and hopefully you can now get some rest.
Don't forget my offer.

LAC EMP 2020 said...

So glad things are improving Jane but it sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Anaesthetic seems to affect all of us differently and it supposedly takes a while to leave the system entirely so take care of yourself over the next few weeks!! Lesley x

The Pea Pod said...

Hope your feeling a little bit better now and your not too sore xx

menopausalmusing said...

Just wondered if my mail got to you after you had published this? I don't think I had checked for blog posts when I wrote it. Glad to hear you are "sorted" - take it easy.

busybusybeejay said...

Hope everything is sorted out now and you get the plaster off soon.

Gillie said...

Goodness, what a palaver! So glad it is sorted and hope you are back to top form soon. My mum used to work in the Worcester Royal Infirmary (as it was) in the hearing aid clinic and when I had my tonsils out she was allowed to bring me ice cream not in visiting hours...a very big deal!

Pam said...

Oh dear, poor you. How very tedious it all sounds. My son, a doctor, is always saying how understaffed they are and how disorganised the admin is - but it's worse from the patients' point of view. Hope you heal very quickly.