Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Taking photos at night to show the beacon brought home to me that I was really out of practice with my good camera.  Anything taken quickly, without thought to settings, produces atmosheric photos which are quite pleasing but don't record the actual sight in front of you. 






While the light faded I began altering shutter speed and playing with the flash and eventually a truer scene started to emerge










Until eventually I managed a fairly clear photo of distant Worcester at night that I was quite pleased with...



Not much going on here that can be blogged about - a bit of knitting, some actual sewing (!),  decorators in to paint a couple of bedrooms and the fence is being done, starting the end of this week (after which funds will be sadly depleted and we shall still have to fight the battle of the hedge).   The Three Counties Show starts on Friday and we are debating whether the weather will be good enough to make a trip feasible - plus complications from other people wanting/needing to be out and who's going to get M's lunch.  We shall see.

Hope you haven't been flooded, rain has poured off the hills making the road down to the Three Counties Showground like a small river on the left hand side.  M has been disgruntled because tennis has been delayed at the French Open, and Queen's didn't start yesterday.  Her current mantra, repeated to anyone who will listen, is that she wants to die in her sleep on the night Wimbledon finishes - what can one say to that?   Tennis is a mixed blessing as she takes it all so seriously and gets so sulky when it finishes and she's then bored.  It also means she moves less as she's glued to the set and therefore we get more problems with movement as a result,  and she has long, loud phone conversations with her friends telling them all her knowledge about the players which makes her even more self-important.  Pity we can't just go on holiday until mid-July really.  (Sarcastic laughter :-))

I've got one of those birthdays that end 0 at the end of July - my diamond Jubilee.  It always rains on my birthday but I'm wondering how I might celebrate by doing my own thing.  Goodness knows what M will be like by then having been defied by the Almighty. Last year we had a month or two of hell as she wanted to die after her birhday and it didn't happen.  Anyone who didn't know her would think we were joking when we tell them these stories.  Oh, well, let's carry on carrying on, it's not actually raining.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so sad that you have to cope with M and her moods, is there no respite care that you could employ?

Gillie said...

I am so lazy with my dear little Canon, just click away so well done you for experimenting.
Oh Jane, wish I lived closer and would come for coffee (well, if you asked me.....) and a chat. Mm, have a feeling respite care might be another black mark in the book? Hugs.
PS has anyone noticed, the robot words are getting more like Hebrew every day?

menopausalmusing said...

I wouldn't know where to start with a "grown up" camera, it always sounds so complicated when people start talking about shutter speed etc. I think I would have to go on a course of some sort. You need to make your special birthday just that: SPECIAL.

Jee said...

Fraid respite care isn't possible, Toffee Apple. The trouble with any offer of help is that M has to accept it - she isn't the sort of elderly person who is happy just to be looked after so everything is a battle. Definitely a black mark, Gillie - and I'd love you to come for coffee :-)
You're quite right, Cathy, I need to think 'special'.

Pam said...

I think dying at the end of Wimbledon is quite a good idea. Though it would be annoying to go on the second last day.

Sympathy re M, though. It must be very hard.