Yesterday was a brief respite from the rain, but today we're back to grey skies, dripping trees, rain -soaked garden and drive and disappearing views to the misty hills.
Last week was busy. Daughter and Grand-daughter and cat came to stay for four days as Daddy was away, so we were fully occupied providing laps and shoulders for miss to sleep on and getting down on the floor - a challenge to our aged knees - to wiggle bright toys and tickle little toes. We are now rewarded with beaming smiles and frantic arm and leg waving as she starts to recognize our voices and faces. The weather was bitterly cold and foggy but we chanced a trip to the cafe where she was cooed over and admired while we sipped good cappucino. We didn't have any broken nights - much to Great-granny's secret annoyance as there was no excuse to complain.
This week has been one for catching up - I have been forced to go out a bit in the awful wet weather and I've been very wary as although we are quite a way up the hills, run off does collect on the roads and a lot of tree work has brought road works and queues on all the local roads. Yesterday was a beautiful day, fortunately, as I was playing taxi for Daughter, but there were still large pools of standing water on minor roads and it's raining hard again now.
Taking advantage of staying in, I at last finished the little rug which has been sitting in the WIP pile for months -
It looks a bit wonky in the photo, but that's the photographer's fault! It's very warm and cosy. All the yarn came from the stash and it's a real mixture from merino with cashmere to just plain acrylic. In theory it needs a further border, but I felt it would be better in use than sitting waiting for more work.
Feeling more inspired, having ticked off one UFO, I made a set of cot bumpers for GD's swinging crib, and finished some more Xmas cardigans. I'm now knitting a small hoodie in Purelife Eco wool - I bought a whole lot about two years ago in a House of Fraser sale and it's really lovely to use, light and 'lofty'. A rug made from this would be incredibly light and warm.
In a rare burst of energy, I actually made a Christmas and then a fruit cake - I've used an old Good Housekeeping recipe for years and it's incredibly quick as everything is put into the bowl at once. Kept for several weeks in a tin and 'fed' with booze it makes a great Christmas cake, but eaten the next day after cooking you get a very moist fruit cake which is quite light in texture. M hates this cake as she likes fruit cake to be like occasional raisins etc. stuck in dry sand, so we don't waste it on her! Similarly, home-made mince-pies are scorned for not having pastry like plaster - when I met H he wouldn't eat pastry as he associated it with M's over-worked effort which was teeth-breakingly hard. My mother's sweet soft shortcrust was a revelation to him, though he still won't eat a savoury pie! The fridge was over-stocked with veggies so soup has been created in quantity and several stews, though again, separate meals have to be created to suit M's taste.
Next week will be busy again, so I'm hoping the bad weather will abate. Have a cosy weekend!
1 comment:
Being a grandma is really special and I am sure you savoured all that cuddling!
Post a Comment