It seems ages since Marion and I went to Winchester, but there hasn't been a moment to blog about it. It's an area I know rather well as we've lived in and around Salisbury and in Hampshire several times whilst H was teaching, but Marion hadn't been except to the coast. We had lovely weather on the Wednesday morning and made good time, even though we stopped in Marlborough for coffee.
We stopped next at Mottisfont Abbey.
It was the pefect time for the spectacular rose garden and the scent was wonderful. We spent a happy couple of hours pottering about, eating lunch and even eating ice cream before heading off to Winchester, where I'd booked a hotel right by the Cathedral that H and I had used before.
Once we'd sorted out a room, we went out into the town for coffee and the walked around to the Great Hall to look at the Round Table and back through the back lanes to the house where Jane Austen died
It was very quiet here so we stopped to sit on a wall and rest our feet until a bevy of tourists arrived, then we followed the paths down to the water meadows and back up into the town centre. Feeling rather warm and weary, we elected to eat in the hotel bar which meant we had a clear view of the Cathedral. We were the only people in the bar so we had a pleasant, inexpensive meal with a great view and no noise.
The next morning we went into the Cathedral early. It's now £7.50 to get in though you can return for free. I'm always in two minds about Cathedral entry charges: I know the upkeep cost are colossal but it never feels quite right to have to pay. It varies across the country with some charging, some not charging but hoping for donations, and some set up with a charging desk who say it's not compulsory. When we lived in Salisbury, and had cause to go into the Cathedral frequently, I usually didn't pay every time but made a donation. In Worcester, H contributes lots of time and effort and financially (in the form of printing a newsletter at his expense) to the musical endeavours, so, whilst I always add to the collection after a service or recital, I don't make a donation every visit - especially as we frequently go through the Cathedral to get to daughter's house which is next to the gate. (Progress here can be slow as grand-daughter always has to stop to admire the carved lions at the bottom of the stairs to the nave pulpit). Anyway, we paid to enter Winchester and wandered round in the early morning shafts of sun coming through the windows so that Marion could see Jane Austen's memorial which I always find rather touching.
I hope this is just about readable. More information, on this and the other memorials in the Cathedral here
After we'd had coffee, and found Marion a dress for a posh occasion, in Debenhams, we checked out of the hotel and came home via lunch in Oxford. H had a friend to stay while I was away so he was well occupied and we all felt we'd had a good change of scene if not a rest.
After another hectic couple of weeks with lots of babysitting and H rushing back and forth to various musical pursuits, I managed last week to go to Essex to see my sister-in-law and finalize my brother's estate. Again I had lovely weather and managed to fit in a visit to a school friend - who kindly delayed the start of her holiday so we could have coffee and a catch-up (only 40+ years so it didn't take long really). I hope she and her husband will visit us sometime, though like us they have grandchildren and elderly parents to take their time.
My step nieces and nephews were again very kind and I had a lovely afternoon admiring one's horses and dogs, followed by a wonderful roast dinner at another's. My sister-in-law has taken a voluntary job in a local charity shop, and is coping well. I was amazed at how much the little Essex town I spent my teenage years in had both changed and stayed the same. Stanstead (only 4 miles away) has obviously had a big effect and it seems brighter and cleaner with lots of coffee shops and restaurants, but there are still some shops I recognise from childhood - we moved there when I was 9yrs old - and I was amused to buy a toy for Miss F in the shop where I used to spend my pocket money, and see the family jeweller, whose daughter was my best friend in primary school, is totally in the 21st century when it comes to current stock (and current prices). Sister-in-law took me for a trip around the local villages and many houses I remembered as near wrecks are now converted (some replastered with the local pargetting and rethatched) and probably worth many hundred's of thousands. It's a very pretty area - not to be confused with the Essex of outer London but bordering Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire. The road systems are so much better than I remembered so I expect it's a favoured commuter area but it still has a sleepy feel once you're off the main routes. Sister-in-law lives in a group of houses which face a large green and it's very peaceful even though the farm land behind has all gone to housing.
So, now we're into another kind of busy. Daughter is gearing up for the end of term in her job and H is going quite frantic preparing for the St Swithun's festival next week - details here
Anyone who would like to join in will be very welcome - it's not often you can hear someone reading in Anglo-Saxon, various musical concerts and recitals and see an art exhibition all in the same week. By the end, H will either be elated, or dead on his feet. I'm just concerned with getting things to the right place, making sure he eats and fitting in the usual babysitting. On Saturday we're going to an annual lunch for a local organ association then rushing to Tenbury Wells where H is playing in a concert of local amateur organists - not something he would normally get inolved in but he couldn't say no. If we all survive till Sunday, I'll tell you all about it. I'm making noises about us both going away for my birthday at the end of the month - we shall see!
Hope it's cool enough downstairs to try some knitting later - need to keep myself awake until I fetch H from the station. Still have things to blog about from when we went to Norwich! It's Art in Action next week which I think I'll have to miss this year and wondering if I can make the Festival of Quilts in August......
After we'd had coffee, and found Marion a dress for a posh occasion, in Debenhams, we checked out of the hotel and came home via lunch in Oxford. H had a friend to stay while I was away so he was well occupied and we all felt we'd had a good change of scene if not a rest.
After another hectic couple of weeks with lots of babysitting and H rushing back and forth to various musical pursuits, I managed last week to go to Essex to see my sister-in-law and finalize my brother's estate. Again I had lovely weather and managed to fit in a visit to a school friend - who kindly delayed the start of her holiday so we could have coffee and a catch-up (only 40+ years so it didn't take long really). I hope she and her husband will visit us sometime, though like us they have grandchildren and elderly parents to take their time.
My step nieces and nephews were again very kind and I had a lovely afternoon admiring one's horses and dogs, followed by a wonderful roast dinner at another's. My sister-in-law has taken a voluntary job in a local charity shop, and is coping well. I was amazed at how much the little Essex town I spent my teenage years in had both changed and stayed the same. Stanstead (only 4 miles away) has obviously had a big effect and it seems brighter and cleaner with lots of coffee shops and restaurants, but there are still some shops I recognise from childhood - we moved there when I was 9yrs old - and I was amused to buy a toy for Miss F in the shop where I used to spend my pocket money, and see the family jeweller, whose daughter was my best friend in primary school, is totally in the 21st century when it comes to current stock (and current prices). Sister-in-law took me for a trip around the local villages and many houses I remembered as near wrecks are now converted (some replastered with the local pargetting and rethatched) and probably worth many hundred's of thousands. It's a very pretty area - not to be confused with the Essex of outer London but bordering Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire. The road systems are so much better than I remembered so I expect it's a favoured commuter area but it still has a sleepy feel once you're off the main routes. Sister-in-law lives in a group of houses which face a large green and it's very peaceful even though the farm land behind has all gone to housing.
So, now we're into another kind of busy. Daughter is gearing up for the end of term in her job and H is going quite frantic preparing for the St Swithun's festival next week - details here
Anyone who would like to join in will be very welcome - it's not often you can hear someone reading in Anglo-Saxon, various musical concerts and recitals and see an art exhibition all in the same week. By the end, H will either be elated, or dead on his feet. I'm just concerned with getting things to the right place, making sure he eats and fitting in the usual babysitting. On Saturday we're going to an annual lunch for a local organ association then rushing to Tenbury Wells where H is playing in a concert of local amateur organists - not something he would normally get inolved in but he couldn't say no. If we all survive till Sunday, I'll tell you all about it. I'm making noises about us both going away for my birthday at the end of the month - we shall see!
Hope it's cool enough downstairs to try some knitting later - need to keep myself awake until I fetch H from the station. Still have things to blog about from when we went to Norwich! It's Art in Action next week which I think I'll have to miss this year and wondering if I can make the Festival of Quilts in August......




3 comments:
You are certainly keeping busy! All sounds really interesting though. Hope all goes well for H and that you eventually remembered to pay his credit card bill!
How do you find the time? It all sounds wonderful. You metioned two of my favourite places, Ledbury and Winchester, I must try to get back to both.
Well, that all sounds very lovely. I hope M is smiling down at you, pleased that you're getting to do some fun stuff.
Post a Comment