Saturday, 7 August 2010

Life is full of surprises

Had really decided this morning that I would go out and buy the Panasonic camera that I fancied - especially as, by coincidence, daughter has just bought one and I was able to have a go.  H said he'd come too, but could we wait till after lunch?  Didn't think too much about  this as I knew he was busy with some music project.
Around 11.00 the postman came with a parcel from Amazon.  H had done a bit of research and found  and purchased a camera that he thought would suit me rather well - it's an Olympus SP800-UZ, not one I'd considered.  It's a little bit heavier than the Panasonic and less user friendly at first sight but, in fact, very easy once you read the instructions.  It's most admirable feature is a massive x30 zoom, and it also has a large built in memory as well as the capacity to take an SD card, several fancy settings like a fish-eye lense, and it charges through the computer or through an adapter.  So, it's charging as I type and I should have some photos to show you soon.  It reminds me of our beloved Canon AE1 which myriad extra lenses and filters and served us well until digital arrived (it still works but film is such a hassle these days).
Anyone who hasn't already, do go and look at the site which Judith (Relatively Retiring) recommends, belonging to her nephew Pete .
His photos are breathtaking and he gives the specifications and other info, too.  The bird and wildlife ones are particularly stunning.

Thank you to the people who have emailed over the last few days, I do so appreciate your kind words and encouragement.  I've had a Pay it forward gift from Jane at Marigold Jam, some lovely vintage knitting patterns from Elaine at Ted and Bunny, and I've won a giveaway from Jill at Third Age Musings so all those things are to come in future posts now, hopefully, I can take some photos.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

4 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Lucky you to have such a thoughtful husband and we shall look forward to seeing the fruits of your labours with the new camera in due course. Hope you manage to get your birthday treat in soon too.

Jane x

Sue said...

What a fantastic present, lucky you. Look forward to seeing some photos.

Relatively Retiring said...

That sounds great - I hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment. I'm glad you appreciate Pete's blog, too.

menopausalmusing said...

What a fantastic surprise! Hope you get hours and hours of enjoyment from it. I went over to Pete's blog and it is truly amazing!