I've painted and sanded and painted and touched up the edges and now my room is open for business again at last.
The original woodwork wasn't brilliantly finished so the paint took better in some places than others - hence the sanding etc. I tried using soft clear wax on the surfaces which get more use and then sanded and painted again as Annie Sloan recommends - it did improve the surfaces which were very rough in places.
The blue is James 108 from the Little Greene Paint Company - it's slightly darker than it looks on the picture, more the colour of Wedgwood pottery. The room looks much larger than it did - it's actually about 7 ft by 14ft but the shelving narrows it. I had a real sort out - the shelves were packed before, but it won't stay this tidy! My stash of wool lives in the cupboards under the window, but my sewing materials are in the utility room downstairs - this room really needs a larger work table to take advantage of the light under the velux window. A trip to Ikea is indicated I think.
I've put a tutorial for the log cabin throw on a separate page - it isn't finished yet but I'll post the rest as soon as I can. For the people who asked about the Squggle Throw, it's very simple. You'll need about 9 balls of each colour of a super chunky which knits to a 9.5 stitches and 12 rows tension on size 10 needles. (Sirdar Squiggle, Big Softie, Denim Ultra, and King Cole and Twilleys do similar so there's a big choice in all sorts of yarn). Cast on 30 stitches and, in moss stitch, knit 42 rows to make a square, change colour and repeat. Knit four square to make a strip and cast off. Knit three strips - or more if you want a larger throw, and sew together. It's very warm and cuddly.
Weather's wonderful here - hope you're having a great weekend.
5 comments:
What a difference! This is such a lovely workroom with all that storage, *green eyed monster face*. I'm keen to try the Annie Sloan paint - I just wish it was easier to get hold of, it costs a fortune to have delivered too:0(
Wishing you a sunny weekend (it's gorgeous here in Kent and they're selling barbeques in the Co-op so summer must be on the way!).
x
Beautiful day here too in N Wales.Love your room.You are lucky to havesuch a space.
Transformed!
Great makeover you must be thrilled...so light and spacious.
I love the blue from the Little Greene Paint Co and I really must try Annie Sloan paints soon.....everyone seems to be talking about them on blogland.
Julie x
What a beautiful workroom, you are very lucky!
Looks like a job well done! Lovely peaceful colours............... So neat and tidy too (wrote THE most untidy woman on the planet).
Post a Comment