Sunday, 31 July 2011

During my day at Art in Action I spent some time wondering whether or not to buy a print from the illustrator, Paul Kidby. ( I also looked longingly at Jackie Morris's prints but I've contented myself with ordering a calendar)  In the end, despite daughter's encouragement, I came away without on the basis that they were quite large and I felt I needed to ask H his opinion- after all he'd have to live with it too and it would be too large to hang in my study or to ignore if hung somewhere prominent in the house.   With everything else going on, I didn't actually forget but I didn't get round to it - daughter did not forget and went into secret consultation with H, so that on Friday I thrilled to be presented with this lovely griffin 'Nemesis'


Mine has gone for framing so I've borrowed this from Paul Kidby's online site.  Click to see some of the beautiful detail - it's wonderful.   The body of the print is 55x45 cm - about 22 inches by 18 and the mount adds about 4 inches all round, so it's quite impressive.   H likes it as much as I do, which is nice, so we're looking forward to hanging it on our nice pale blue wall in the hall.   There are several others in the series - the dragon and the winged lion are especially nice, and they all come as greetings' cards too.



As always, there was some wonderful work on show and being created at Art in Action.  We especially liked the textile work of Soon Yul Kang (above) - such wonderful tranquil tapestries, and Graham Muir's breathtaking wave form glass (photos are from artist's websites, as I forgot my camera).




Despite the rain, I had a peaceful, relaxing birthday with lots of good things to eat  - very satisfactory.  M is buying me some sewing things I've been fancying - when I get round to finding them on the net and ordering them.   Australian Brother-in-law sent great flowers  - he's so good at remembering.




5 comments:

Relatively Retiring said...

I'm so glad you had a good day. That glass is so beautiful, and I had a greyhound who looked very like that lovely griffon - no wings though.

menopausalmusing said...

What a lovely post full of inspiration........ Beautiful objects all round.

Glad you like that sort of illustration, considering what you might get at the end of this week
;O)

Chrissie said...

Happy Birthday! (Mine was actually early July, but only just got round to blogging...) I've been moaning like anything about pension stuff - even though I'm now 60 I don't get my pension for another 16 months because of the new phased-in retirement age of 65. Though the compensation is that I did get a free bowel cancer screening kit - you've got that to look forward to!!

Josie Crafter said...

Hello!
Thanks for popping by and leaving a message :-)
Happy birthday to you! It sounds like you've had a good day. The exhibition looks really good - I've not visited an art gallery for so very long and would love to do so soon!
Have a happy rest of the week,
xx

Ticking Stripes said...

Pleased you had a god day. love the curved glass and your griffin.