Things you can and can't do with one working hand :
You Can
Shower - with one hand in a plastic bag tied up with sellotape
Dress - though bras are tricky
Cook - most things and even wash up pans and frying pans but not cut bread - self defence as H's idea of a proper meal is not mine and tends to be short on quantity and variety
Iron
Clear up the kitchen and sweep up with a dustpan and brush
Put the washing in and out the machine/dryer - but not fold it up neatly or carry it back to the bedrooms/wardrobes
Use the computer and therefore blog, pay the bills, make purchases
Clean the bathrooms and M's horrible double shower
Water the garden
Use the exercise bike
Go for a walk if you avoid where you fell over in the first place and don't carry a bag and ignore the worry that you might fall over again.
You can't
Knit
Sew - either by hand or with the new macine which is sitting temptingly in full view
Cut out a pattern or fabric for a quilt
Draw or paint without fear of getting paint etc all over the plaster cast on your left hand - why? I don't get both hands dirty normally
Make anything requiring glue, water, stickers or intricate cutting
Read comfortably, especially in bed. A surprise this as you don't realise how you need the second hand especially with a paperback.
Drive the car
Food shop - unless taken by someone else who then dictates what can be bought, which means we have a strange selection of food which seems unlikely to make a satisfactory meal (why did H go to the local shop and buy onions, celery, bananas and mushrooms, all of which we have plenty of anyway, but nothing to put in a sandwich and no fruit?)
I'd be very happy if someone else did all the things in the 'can' list - except the computer bit - but it's very dull not being able to do things on the can't list. Onion sandwiches anyone?
8 comments:
I think you are doing marvellously I am sure I couldn't do half of your CAN DO list with one hand. It must be so very frustrating for you. How long is it expected to be in plaster - your arm I mean?
Your can-do list is amazing. I'd keep quiet about being able to iron if I was you!
It must be so frustrating for you, I hope you don't have to have the plaster on for too long.
x
I can't believe your "I can" list.You are doing so well.I think my main frustration would be not being able to drive.I like my independence!
I really do like onion sandwiches. But no one else around me is that keen on me eating them. Strange. Hope the hand recovers soon.
Thanks, Jane (Marigold Jam) and Joanna. Hope they're going to change this cast for soemthing lighter on Tuesday - it doesn't fit properly now so it's very irritating.
Busybusybeejay - Not being able to drive is certainly the worst thing - it's almost impossible for us to go out together now that M's eyesight is so bad, and she's got so determined to keep her own strict schedule that there's only an hour and a half at most between requirements so I'm reliant on Daughter who is also rather busy.
Fran - I like cheese and onion sandwiches, I must admit, but cheese wasn't purchased!
I wouldn't mind an onion sandwich Jane... but not with bananas and celery thrown in too! Don't get me started on men and food shopping. I know where you are coming from and sympathise but I think you're doing really well. I'm with the others in admiring what you can actually do with one hand. Things will get better won't they.... and just think of all the weight you'll lose on that strange diet your husband is repsonsible for! Lesley x
Celery should be blasted from the face of the earth! :O)
Poor you having that sewing machine sitting there taunting you. You sound as if you can still manage quite a lot of things, but its only when you lose the use of a limb you realise how difficult things can be, isn't it? Hope you are getting better by the day.
So agree about celery, Cathy.
Cast has just been replaced by a split held on by velcro - which I'm not supposed to take off for 4 more weeks!
Post a Comment