At last, a bright enough day to try photographing the knitting as I promised - though my camera and the computer are still conspiring to make all my photos rather too dark. I fear the computer is failing - one of the reasons I'm not blogging much .
This was the little mitred blanket I was halfway through when I broke my arm. Each square is knitted separately from 23 stitches down to one, then picking up the next 23. I used ends from the stash and I think it's rather nice - the pattern makes it quite warm but light.
This little hat and poncho is for baby E - now a toddler of 21 months, who is coming to see us next week. I remember having a little poncho for my daughter at that age, it was very useful as you could pop it quickly over a sweater or a coat for an extra layer without struggling with sleeves. I particularly like the hat which should have tassels but I think they'd be too tickly on the cheeks! The yarn is Sirdar Crofter and the 2-3yrs size took about 3 balls.
Various babies are expected over the next few months so I've started doing the odd pair of bootees etc. as I don't know yet whether they will be boys or girls - hopefully, these pieces will finish up looking like those in the pattern photo!
Blogger absolutely refuses to turn this the right way round although it was taken at the same time as the other photos.
I've got this mitred blanket on the go in between other things - it's slightly larger than the first one and the yarn is from my sister's stash, so I hope I have enough to make a square 12 x12. I can always use something else for the border. It looks very blue in the photos but is actually a lavender grey colour.
Finally, I knitted daughter one of these (- no she's not the model!). Although it's only knitted on 7 stitches it nearly drove me mad unravelling the gauze. Anyway, she's pleased with it and it didn't take long, but I'm not taking orders! The yarn is Katia Ondas and there's a free pattern and instructions with the yarn if you fancy one - it's fairly widely available and one ball costs £6.75 on average and makes one scarf.
You'll realise from the amount of knitting that I haven't been out much - though the weather today cries out for a walk on the hills. It's been very busy here with endless adjustments to M's routine and I'm now more or less on duty from early morning until she's showered and dressed - this involves actually being in the shower so I then have to go and shower or bath again afterwards, making the whole process rather lengthy. It's put paid to various plans daughter and I had for a few nights away, though I still hope to get away with my friend (postponed from September) when things settle a bit, as daughter will do the early morning for me. H does quite a lot of the day unless he has an organ lesson or some other committment, and we did actually go to Birmingham together this week leaving daughter to hold the fort. M is revelling in her new-found power and each new concession to her needs opens up a new line of complaint. We'd all be happier if she'd just stay in bed for half an hour longer but that's a vain hope!
I'm half way through making the squares for a quilt - some sewn together, about 2/3rds of the cutting done. I'm using a pattern from Fat Quarterley No 6 called Summer Garden, as I had a layer cake of fabric ready to use. I don't think mine will be quite as large. It shouldn't really take very long but interruptions every hour or so to follow M's inflexible schedule ruins my concentration, so I waste time. Photos to come......

5 comments:
What a beautiful knitter you are Jane. I have no patience with it even though I love the outcome. That darling hat is so lovely and the scarf looks very elegant even though it sounds a nightmare to make! Good to see you online again. I have missed your posts.
I'm so glad to see you are back in action again.
Thank you so much - the book I've wanted to reread for 50 years was indeed "The Gauntlet"! Well done Mr Retiring!
I love your knitting. You are so clever. (And so is Mr R.)
No, no, not Mr Retiring! Sorry! Mr Jee!
Oh dear, Isabelle. I'm not sure Judith at RR would appreciate having to take on H (and his mother!). Glad it was the right book though.
Post a Comment