Eventually saw the back of the snow on Sunday morning, thank goodness. I've always got plenty to do at home but I was glad to escape to the antiques fair at the showground for a good mooch around. I didn't buy anything as I'd been hitting the sales online while snowed up - boots, cardigan, waterproof jacket from Landsend; new pillows from another site and some books from The Bookpeople (I was spending Christmas money so I don't feel too guilty and I did save on petrol!).
Yesterday I had an unexpected day out with Daughter as I was supposed to babysit but her meeting was cancelled. We shopped, had a nice lunch and spent a little on Grand-daughter, so a very satisfactory day, but today I'm in catch-up mode.
If you are a reader of Jill's blog, Third Age Musings , you may already have read about Gretel Parker (Middle of Nowhere blog) who has sadly lost her partner of 21 years, Andy, just at the point where they had at last bought their own home. Andy died without leaving a will and Gretel has no family support system so is in a very vulnerable situation. Her friends are fundraising for her here. Please help if you can even if it is just spreading the word about the campaign on your blogs or facebook. It is a desperately sad that this should happen to Gretel. The laws governing intestacy are complicated where they concern unmarried couples and, I believe, need review in this day and age where marriage is less the norm than even 40 years ago. The common perception is that money goes to the state but it's much more likely to go to distant relatives - there is no provision as far as I know for unmarried partners. Whether a partner inherits a property which they share depends on how the property was registered -hopefully Gretel and Andy's property was registered appropriately by their solicitor but that won't of course pay the mortgage.
Off now to sort out M's prescriptions - how soon things go back normal - for us at least.
1 comment:
I wrote a comment earlier but Blogger wasn't letting me see what the words and numbers were, so I couldn't be verified!
I had heard about Gretel but that was the first time I had ever come across her. I do hope that her friends are able to help her, it is a pretty parlous position to be in.
How lovely to have a planned day become even better by spending time with your girls.
Post a Comment