Sunday, 12 June 2011

Quarts into pint pots - or the gentle art of storage

The workmen are coming tomorrow to start work on the basement. Which is great news, but means that the content of H's study has to be moved over this weekend.  Daughter came over to help and we moved the contents of all the bookcases to the utility/ sewing room, also in the basement, as we couldn't face carrying any of it upstairs.  Fortunately, there was enough space on the work surface which runs around most of the room to stack the books and CDs (in piles three deep and about 2 foot + high all round), and we then added the 4 smaller bookcases and the base and keyboard sections of the small pipe organ.  We can't put the 6 larger bookcases and the CD racks in there as they won't go through the doorway, so we hope the that the decorator will be able to cope with them and the desk and chairs still left in the room.  The large electric organ will have to stay in place in the alcove and be shrouded in dust sheets.




The books at the sink end have been wrapped n polythene in case the plasterer splashes them.

Don't think I'm going to be sewing for a few weeks - the washing will be on hold too, until the organ can be moved back out, as it will be too damp.  I'll have to go over and use daughter's machine if we're desperate!
The main problem, apart from the lack of space for them to work, is that H hasn't yet decided what colour he wants the study painted!  The music room will stay white as it is now but H keeps muttering about red for the study (currently yellow) but hasn't found one that he likes and time is running out.


A quick trip to Ikea last Wednesday means I now have a table and some more storage in my office.  The table's on castors so I can move it easily around the room depending on what I'm working on, and a folding table will give me a place to put the computer.  No excuse now but to get on with the work!



Above is the card I made for Jill on the theme of Windows.  She sent me this lovely stitched card on the theme of water 


based on this photography that she had taken last summer on a trip to the Isle of Wight.


The colours are super and the stitched picture really picks these up - it's a lovely piece of work.  Thank you, Jill.   I managed to post this on Postman's Knock site earlier, but I can't leave any comments on the other posts at present - another of Bloggers little tricks?

The rest of this week's cards are over on the Postman's Knock site.  Go and have a look, they're fabulous.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Yes, Blogger being a bit silly again.....

I loved your 'window' postcard, so clever and a view to die for! I really like the mixture of hand painting and collaged real images. Jill's 'water' postcard is stunning too, absolutely beautiful and she's really picked up the colours from the photograph.

Hope your decorating is finished quickly, sounds messy!

menopausalmusing said...

Loved the title to this post - it made me grin. Both cards are super and I hope your decorating gets done quickly so that order can be restored. I had almost given up attempting to leave comments today..... such is the varied nature of Blogger at the moment..........

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Jane,
If Ikea was closer than a 2 hour trip to Cardiff I'd be off like a shot for one of those tables. It looks perfect for a workroom. Hope you get your space back soon and that the plasterer makes a clean job of it. Cannot comment over at PK so will tell you that your card for Jill is ace. I had a similar idea and will now have to get back to the drawing board pronto. I've always been a fan of RS Thomas, ever since I came to Wales years ago to do my teacher training. Our English lecturer was very fond of Thomas and WH Davies so I think you picked a gem there. Good luck with the building works! Lesley

Jill said...

Oh my! you have fitted a quart into a pint pot there. I am even more impressed with the amount of work put into my pretty card - hope all the work goes smoothly.

Unknown said...

gorgeous cards. Both of them.

and good luck with the decorating... I had the upstairs carpet washed today and everything that could be lifted has been put onto the beds. Oh dear.

What a mess.

Relatively Retiring said...

Washing machine here if needed!
I love your windows card.

Chrissie said...

Awesome, as they say! I'm about to have to empty all my kitchen cupboards into ...... somewhere!!

Pam said...

Hope the workers get it done soon.

Beautiful cards!