Friday, 30 September 2011

Mid-morning escape


Even H couldn't find an excuse to stay indoors in this glorious weather, and there was a list of things to be purchased or collected, so we hastily made M's mid -morning drink, and having called at the Dr's for her prescription, went into Great Malvern.  To my surprise, after I'd visited the bank H's feet veered left into the Bluebird Tearooms - a real old-fashioned Malvern gem which is up above a shop in the High Street.  It was very quiet and I do worry that the more trendy spots opening up in the town are diminishing its custom - especially as one could easily walk past and not notice it.   

Upstairs it still retains many original chairs and tables which go back to Elgar's time though the decor is more modern.  There's a limited menu but it's all very good and caters for vegan and vegetarian too.  The prices are reasonable and the cakes are exceptional - I had a wonderful chunk of bread pudding made as my mother used to with piles of fruit and crunchy on top but soft inside.  H had a huge orange and chocolate slice which he said was fantastic.  



The best thing for us about going out even for a short while together is it's the only time we can have a conversation without fear of M overhearing - her deafness is of the convenient variety so we often have to go right down to the study in the basement to be sure of not being overheard (not very helpful is you want to have an argument or arrange something private that doesn't involve M!). 

Tomorrow is our wedding anniversary so daughter and partner are coming to lunch (I've shopped for it by Ocado so I hope it turns up in time!).   H is out in the evening but we felt we had to do something - 36 years isn't bad going especially when you think what the last three have been like!    Unfortunately, they cut my wedding ring off when I broke my arm so I need to see if it can be repaired when this wretched splint comes off.  Weather was as good as this when we got married though it didn't last into our honeymoon - the current forecast seems good for a few days though.  Hope you're enjoying it too!

6 comments:

ted and bunny said...

happy anniversary for tomorrow!

hoping all is well with you?

Enjoy this lovely warm weather
x

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Hope you have a lovely anniversary Jane. 36 years is something to cherish. I hope the good weather continues to aid your recovery!

CATHY DANIEL said...

Know what you mean about the privacy thing - its a bit like that having adult children in the house everywhere! Hope it all goes well for your anniversary do, Jane.

Gilly said...

Happy Anniversary! And I hope you are glad you made it!"

Those Tearooms sound lovely - they should be advertised more, especially in those posh "Country" magazines that tourists read, especially Americans!

Your wedding ring should be repairable. I had to have mine made bigger, and they did that by cutting it and putting a bit more gold in. So surely they could do yours.

Unknown said...

happy anniversary!

And I must check out that lovely coffee shop next time I'm in Malvern... looks just perfect.

Pam said...

Happy anniversary. You certainly deserve a bit of escape time!