Having succeeded to some extent in his efforts he became, of course, a target for Hitler's vengeance, and was arrested and imprisioned as soon as Hitler became Chancellor. He spent the rest of his life in various prisons and concentration camps eventually committing suicide in 1938 in Dachau. Quite apart from his heroic efforts against the Nazi regime, his personal bravery was immense. For Hitler's 45th birthday all prisoners were required to create a beautiful gift. The poem Hans Litten produced is surely a thing of beauty - a gift to us all, I think, wherever people are oppressed and wrongly imprisoned or accused.
Thoughts are free, who can guess them?
They flee by like nocturnal shadows.
No man can know them, no hunter can shoot them
with powder and lead:
They flee by like nocturnal shadows.
No man can know them, no hunter can shoot them
with powder and lead:
Thoughts are free!
I think what I want, and what delights me,
still always reticent, and as it is suitable.
My wish and desire, no one can deny me
and so it will always be:
still always reticent, and as it is suitable.
My wish and desire, no one can deny me
and so it will always be:
Thoughts are free!
And if I am thrown into the darkest dungeon,
all this would be futile work,
because my thoughts tear all gates
and walls apart:
all this would be futile work,
because my thoughts tear all gates
and walls apart:
Thoughts are free!
So I will renounce my sorrows forever,
and never again will torture myself with some fancy ideas.
In one's heart, one can always laugh and joke
and think at the same time:
and never again will torture myself with some fancy ideas.
In one's heart, one can always laugh and joke
and think at the same time:
Thoughts are free!
I love wine, and my girl even more,
Only I like her best of all.
I'm not alone with my glass of wine,
my girl is with me:
Only I like her best of all.
I'm not alone with my glass of wine,
my girl is with me:
Thoughts are free!
It's obviously best read and heard in the original German.
4 comments:
The sentiment of this poem is so beautiful. I agree it may be best read in the original - except I do not read German!
I started to watch the drama about him and must admit I gave up .... missed the documentary but will catch up on I-player .... lovely poem. On a similar subject I did watch the Boy in Striped Pyjamas this week ..... how moving was that x
Just catching up on blogs after my hols and so sorry to hear about your arm - do hope you have a comfortable and swift recovery.
Oh...I really feel for you! I so understand. Early last year I broke my hand and had surgery and I was so frustrated with all the things I couldn't do...like knitting, crocheting, quilting. I am thinking of you and hope your arm heals very very very fast!!!
Post a Comment